Experienced Defense Lawyer Fighting for Drivers Accused of DUI in the Colorado Springs Area
A DUI is a severe charge. Not only do you have the short-term consequences to concern yourself with, such as jail time and loss of your driving license, but you equally have long-term effects. These long-term implications, if convicted, could affect you for years if not a lifetime. Therefore, it is imperative that you not only consider the short- and long-term effects, but that you hire a qualified defense attorney to represent your case in court.
For a free legal consultation, call (719) 440-6720
Knowing the Factors that Influence Your Case’s Outcome
Numerous factors influence the outcome of your DUI case, even if you are a first-time offender. These factors determine the likelihood of conviction, but also the sentence the judge may impose.
Certain factors include, but are not limited to:
- A history of DUI offenses and convictions in the past.
- Whether your vehicle held passengers, and if any of the passengers were under 18 years old.
- If you were operating equipment or driving a commercial vehicle.
- If your DUI includes another traffic offense, such as reckless driving, speeding, or causing an accident.
- If you were over or under the legal drinking age.
What Outcomes Are Possible with a DUI Charge?
The result of your case depends on the factors above, but also the power of evidence you have versus the prosecution. If you have additional offenses or multiple DUI convictions, you could face a felony charge for this DUI, which involves prison time, parole, and a permanent scar on your criminal record.
Knowing the potential outcomes is important, but so is consulting with a DUI attorney. An attorney can better assess which results apply to your case and the likelihood of each.
- You might receive the first-time leniency. If this is your first DUI, the courts are less likely to impose the maximum. Instead, the judge may provide you with a lenient punishment while considering it is your first offense and possibly a mistake. Do not think you will get off without punishment, however. A first-time DUI still comes with consequences.
- You might receive a plea bargain or reduced charges. The prosecution may assess the weight of evidence and decide to offer a plea bargain or reduced charges, resulting in a non-DUI conviction on your record.
- You might have the case dismissed or found not guilty. There are chances your attorney will find numerous holes in the prosecution’s case, which allows them to have the case dismissed. Sometimes, your attorney may argue in court and win, resulting in a “not guilty” verdict.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
For the Best Possible DUI Outcome, Contact a Defense Attorney
To receive the best possible outcome, you must contact a criminal defense attorney with experience in DUI cases.
Attorney Christian A. Schwaner, P.C. can help you with your pending DUI case in Colorado Springs. As a former prosecutor, he knows what prosecutors use to convict, their negotiating tactics, and what they need to succeed.
Speak with him today for a no-obligation consultation and see what possible outcomes your DUI holds. Call his office at 719-577-9700 or schedule a consultation online.
Call or text (719) 440-6720 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form